January 2012 - The Percy Douglas ON 44135
The Percy Douglas was as 781-ton ship. She was originally laid down by Edward Allen of St Aubin at his yard which was situated just behind where the current Parish Hall stands. This was to be his sixth vessel. Allen was declared bankrupt and the court awarded the half completed hull to his chief creditor, a Liverpudlian entrepreneur, Thomas Hayley, described as ‘a gentleman’, who lived at Hillside, Beaumont.
Hayley had the vessel moved along the beach closer to his house at Beaumont and engaged a shipwright who then oversaw the completion of the ship. She was launched on 8 August 1861 and was named after the Lieutenant Governor of the day - Major General Sir Robert Percy Douglas. She was 172ft 3ins long, 32ft 3ins in the beam and had a depth 19ft 9ins.
She was registered in Liverpool the same day as she was launched and for the first four years her master was JP Hamon of St Brelade who is commemorated by a stained glass window in St Aubin's Church. She worked the Australia, Far Eastern and China routes until she was wrecked on the Kishma Shoal two days out of Rangoon on 30th December 1871. The entire crew was drowned including her master, Captain F Le Riche.
February 2012 - The Alabama ON 68752
The Alabama was a 66-ton two-masted schooner built by George Vautier in his yard in Havre des Pas, Jersey in 1872. She was 75 ft 8 ins long and 19 ft 3 ins in the beam. She was launched on 27 January 1873 and first registered to Thomas de Faye & Co the following month. De Faye's kept her until 1903 and her master was set down as Philip Blampied. She had the official number 68752 and her signal letters were PGRK.
Although her dimensions never changed her internal arrfangements were altered and so in October 1876 her tonnage was reduced to 60 and once again in February 1891 when she was described as 54 tons. This propbably due to theimprovements being made to crew accomodation. In the early 1900s she was re-rigged as a ketch.
On November 18 1905 she foundered at the mouth of the River Legué approaching St Brieuc. She was salvaged four weeks later on 13 December. In 1906 she was owned by Captain Jeune and in 1909 she was sold to Captain Pigeon. She was finally lost in fog off Jobourg Point near Cherbourg on 12 March 1917.
"The Alabama of Jersey off Leghorn, Charles E Whiteley, master" by Lewis Renault (1845-1910).
'The Percy Douglas of Liverpool' by Philip John Ouless (1817-1885)
"The Water Witch of Jersey Frederick Helleur, master entering the Port of Palermo.
March 2012 - The Water Witch
The Water Witch was a 124-ton schooner built in 1831 by James Britten Balley of Shoreham, Sussex. Owned by the Jersey company of Philip and John De Quetteville the Water Witch was 76ft long and 19 ft 3 ins in the beam. The De Quettevilles were one of the Jersey cod firms who concentrated largely on the Labrador coast. The Water Witch would have carried the dried cod to Mediterranean markets. They also dealt in seal skins which were stored in their warehouse in Commercial Buildings, St Helier.
Frederick Helleur of St Helier was master of the Water Witch between 1831 and 1836 and this painting from the collection shows her entering the port of Palermo in Sicily.
She was lost on 3 September 1848 when she struck Green Island, between the coast of Newfoundland and the islands of St Pierre et Miquelon while on a voyage from Labrador to Zante, the most southerly of the Ionian islands in Greece. Captain Bailhache and his crew all managed to make land safely
April 2012 - The Centurion ON 7268
The Centurion (ON7268) was a 175-ton brig built in 1836 by Edward Esnouf in his yard in Patriotic Place, St Helier. Owned by Charles Mauger who was also her first master, she was 78.6ft long and 20.1ft in the beam.
In 1848 she was sold to the father and son firm of Deslandes and William Ramier became her master. It was Ramier who was in command when the Maltese ship painter Nicolas Cammillieri painted thise portrait of her.
In February 1859 the Centurion ran aground in the Bonny River on the eastern side of the Niger Delta in what is now Nigeria. The Deslandes sold her and she was fitted out as a store hulk and used on the river. Her registry was finally cancelled in March 1866
"The Centurion of Jersey, master William Ramier, entering Valetta harbour, Malta 26th December 1848 by Nicolas Cammillieri
"The Coeur de Lion of Jersey, Hong Kong, 1869
May 2012 - The Couer de Lion ON 55294
The Coeur de Lion (ON 55294 signal code:HSBK) was a 848-ton ship built in 1867 by Daniel Le Vesconte in his yard at First Tower, St Helier. Owned by Philip Ahier, she was 182ft long and 33ft in the beam.
In October 1872 she was sold to foreign owners and she was removed from the Jersey Registry.
The painting shows her at Hong Kong in 1869 when she was under the command of Alfred Hellyer. Flying the ship's flag on the main mast, the artist has shown her flying her Marryat code numbers on the mizzen mast - 1st distinguishing pennant 2068
"The Bolina of Jersey discharging at Dublin docks, 24 February 1838
June 2012 - The Bolina ON 9658
The Bolina (ON 9658 signal code:KJFT) was a 64 ton schooner built in 1837 by John Filleul & Thomas Le Rougetel in their yard in St Clement. Owned by John Ahier, she was 58.3ft long and 16.15ft in the beam. In March 1843 she was sold to Joshua Macon who also commanded her. It was while he was incommand that she ran aground just off Noirmont while on a passage from St Brieuc to England. While she was being repaired her new owners Edward Le Feuvre and Charles Le Cornu took the opportunity of lengthening her to 67.5ft and this of course increased her tonnage to 70 tons. She was further lengthened in February 1859 when she was increased to 72.8ft. In 1863 she was sold to Jonathan Le Brocq and Edward Vautier who kept her until June 1866 when Edward Le Feuvre bought her back again and kept her until Marchg 1875 when she was bought by Philippe Valpy Le Font
In March 1887 she was sold to Dumaresq Valpy and Charles Le Bas and they re-registered her in Gaspé in March 1889 and she was removed from the Jersey Registry.
The painting shows her unloading at the docks in Dublin on 24 February, 1838 when she was under the command of Helier Langlois.
July 2012 - The Electric Flash ON 39980
The Electric Flash (ON 39980 signal code letters SRMG) was a 177-ton top mast schooner built by F C Clark in his yard at West Park, St Helier in July 1854. Newspaper reports of the time described the vessel’s superb lines and noted how its “svelte proportions” proclaimed the vessel’s speed. The launch took place just before 7:00 am on Tuesday 11 July and the steamer Rose towed her around to the Albert Pier where, within two hours, she had her masts fitted. She was owned by John Carrel & Co of High Street, St Aubin between 1854 and 1873
She left Jersey on her maiden voyage on 10 August under the command of Captain Ogier bound for Trieste in the Adriatic with a mixed cargo. She arrived at her destination on 18 October and left again on 1 November bound for Messina in Sicily. She left Messina bound for London on 26 November 1854. She remained in the Island in the ownership of the Carrels until she was re-registered in London in September 1873.
"The Electric Flash of Jersey entering Malta 1840".
August 2012 - Ocean Pet ON 68800
The Ocean Pet (ON 68800, signal code letters QPSL) was a 74-ton top mast schooner built by John F Picot in his yard at Gorey in 1876 for William Pickford.
She was 80.9ft long and 20ft in the beam. Her usual crew would have been the master, 3 ABs, an OS and a cook
This unsigned painting shows her off a rocky coast flying the Pickford house flag on the foremast, her signal code flags on the main and the Red ensign on the gaff. Her captain at the time the vessel was painted was Captain Henry Le Gresley from St Martin who was born in 1853. He was master of her in the early 1880s.
On 19 December 1889 Ocean Pet left Opporto bound for St Johns, Newfoundland and was never heard of again. Her registry was closed in July 1890.
"The Ocean Pet of Jersey off a rocky coast, 1880-85.
September 2012 Patruus ON 33641
The Patruus (ON 33641, signal code RGDQ) was a 206-ton brig built in 1839 by John Augustus Vincent in Paspebiac, Gaspé, Quebec for Charles Robin & Co.
She was 84.7ft long and 21.6ft in the beam. Once launched she was sailed over the Atlantic to the Mediterranean and then to Jersey where she was entered on the island's ship registry on 10 April 1840.
In February 1859, still owned by Charles Robin & Co, she had new measurements entered on Jersey Registry – 87.1ft long by 23.9ft in the beam and her tonnage dropped to 187-tons probably by internal improvements to crew accommodation.
On 16 January 1886 Robins was badly affected by the Jersey Banking crisis and so the Royal Court prohibited share dealings in the vessel for nine months. Later in the year the company was forced to merge with the smaller but relatively cash rich Jersey company J&E Collas to become Charles Robin, Collas & Co.
Crew lists were continued to be submitted until late 1894 when she was towed out of St Helier harbour over to Plymouth by the Guernsey tug Assistance. In Plymouth she was recorded as being a hulk in 1899 and finally a coal hulk in 1904 when no more is heard of her.
"The Patruus of Jersey, FS Gibaut master, entering the Mole of Naples, 21 October 1839" The Robin Company's black ball is flying from the top of the main mast and the red ensign flies from the gaff of the driver.
October 2012 The Toby ON 16959
The Toby (ON 16959, signal code MDQN) was a 9-ton paddle wheeled steam tug built in 1855 in Greenwich (She had 64 tons deducted for her engine room). She was 80.1ft long and 17ft in the beam and was powered by 2two 20 hp engines.
She was brought to Jersey in December 1862 when she was bought by Josué Falle & Co. In August 1871 she was sold to Elias Andrews Noel who operated her until he died in January 1875. His son Charles Edward sold her to Joshua George Falle in March of that year.
In January 1876 Toby was sold to Frederick Noel and three years later at the end of December 1879 she was sold out of the island.
"The Toby" a sketch drawn in 7 June 1866 taken from the sketchbook of the artist Philip John Ouless (1818-86).
November 2012 The Satellite ON 58254
The Satellite (ON 58254 Signal Letters HRGP) was a 245-ton 3-masted schooner built in 1867 in Kingston, Elginshire, Scotland.
She was brought to Jersey in 1881 when she was bought by Richard & George Allix of 12 Commercial Buildings, St Helier. However, she was registered in Guernsey to avoid having to pay into the Jersey Merchant Seamen’s Benefit Society.
It was during his first voyage on the Satellite that TB Davis ended up being cast adrift off the coast of East Anglia having run aground on the Cross Sands in March 1883.
Her usual run was from Jersey to Guernsey in ballast, with stone for London and then whatever cargo or in ballast to the Tyne to load with coal for Jersey.
She was run down by the SS Raithwaite Hall just off the entrance to the Tyne in December 1892. Although she was lost all the crew were saved.
"The Satellite off Dover, 1882" by C Kensington (1852-1920)
December 2012 The George & Mary ON 68786
The George & Mary (ON 68786 Signal Letters WTPK) was a 91½-ton schooner built in 1875 by Daniel Le Sueur at La Rocque for Henry Shgapland and George Le Four. She was 83.2 ft x 20.6 ft x 10 ft.
In April 1884 she was sold to William Pugsley and John Wright who kept her until December 1901 when Pugsley sold his half share in her to Wright who remained her sole owner until November 1910 when she was sold to new owners in Belfast and her registry in Jersey was closed down.
TB Davis served on the George & Mary between 1 May and 26 July 1886, under the command of Captain Wheeler. Rated as an AB, his wages were £2 10/- a month. The voyage was straight over the Atlantic to Barbados and then on to St John’s, Newfoundland. It was here that on 26 July, Davis joined another Jersey registered schooner the Flying Fish, master John Edwin Coles. This seems to have been a straight crew swap as 20 year old Alfred Le Lievre left the Flying Fish and joined the George & Mary.
Interestingly when Captain Wheeler submitted his returns to the Jersey Merchant Seamen’s Benefit Society the following March, Davis’ name does not appear amongst the crew despite him having signed the Crew Agreement.
"The George & Mary in an Atlantic Gale, 1892" Artist unknown.