the original Circassian was built by Francois Bisson of La Rocque about 1870 for the Gallichan brothers who used it for potting and fishing at the Minquiers. She would probably have had a sprit sail originally but by the 1920s when she had an engine fitted the high peaked gaff rig became popular amongst fishermen.
She was acquired by the Jersey Heritage Trust in December 1987 from Mr LAS Renouf.
In the summer of 2002 it was decided that Circassian was too far gone to restore back to sailing condition and so in November 2003 she was brought into the maritime museum boatshop where her lines were taken to produce a set of building plans. In true belt and braces style, we also made a set of templates of her frames, transom and keel. In 2004 work started on building a replica and in June 2005 the Circassian II was launched.
While she was being built, the whole process was filmed by Annette Lowe of the Jersey Camcorder Club and the resultant film is available as a DVD from the Maritime Museum.
Circassian II is often sailed around St Aubin's Bay and occasionally takes part in the Dayboat races.