Website of the Friends of the Jersey Maritime Museum

Association of Jersey Charities Number: 167

Maritime Jersey

fomm compass (sm) FJMM flagpole


- sail number H7 – formerly named Doddy and Ju-Ja - is also a Hamble One Design built by the Luke Brothers in 1913. Like the Jesse her dimensions are

  • LOA: 18 ft

  • LWL: 15 ft 3 ins

  • Beam: 6 ft 6 ins

  • Draft: 3ft 2 ins

  • Sail Area: 187 sq ft.


She was owned by Sir Jesse Boot and his wife, Florence, who donated them to the St Helier Yacht Club in 1924 for use  in the teaching of sailing.  In the late 1940s  they were sold off into private ownership.  Florence was bought by  Jersey Heritage in August 1996 from Mr and Mrs Holloway of St Helier.


The restoration of the Florence was funded through the generosity of Mr and Mrs David Crossland in memory of Mr Crossland's late mother, Florence. Restoration work began in November 1999 she  was re-launched at a special re-dedication ceremony in September 2000.


Both Florence and Jesse are sailed regularly.  Florence can be easily spotted by her red sails.


In 2009 Florence was entered on the National Small Boats Register as NSBR 1536.


Florence and Jesse Florence May 2000 Florence 2 June bows Florence and Jesse 1946 Gorey Regatta 2