is a carvel-built, day boat. She is a gunter rigged sloop - sail number H4 - and was also known as Biddy.
LOA: 18 ft
LWL: 15 ft 3 ins
Beam: 6 ft 6 ins
Draft: 3ft 2 ins
Sail Area: 187 sq ft.
The Jesse was the first boat to be restored in the Maritime Museum Boat Shop. She was originally designed by AR Luke and was built in Hampshire on the River Hamble by the family firm, Luke & Co in 1913. This Hamble One Design is one of a pair in our collection, the other being the Florence. They were owned by Sir Jesse Boot and his wife, Florence, who donated them to the St Helier Yacht Club in 1924 where they were used in the teaching of sailing until the late 1940s when they were sold off into private ownership. In December 1996 Mrs Collette Crill of St Martin donated the Jesse, to the Jersey Heritage Trust in memory of her father Mr Arthur TM Riches and brother Robin de B. Riches.
Restoration started in July 1997 and she was relaunched at a special re-dedication ceremony in September 1999.
The restoration project was supported by The Friends of the Maritime Museum, The Boots Company PLC, The Association of Jersey Charities and Jackson Yacht Services.
A regular in the Wednesday evening Dayboat races, Jesse can always be spoted because of her blue sails.
In 2009 Jesse was entered on the National Small Boats Register as NSBR 1565.