Every month an object from the collection will be featured here:
The figurehead above the door of the Maritime Museum is a reproduction of the figurehead from the 380-ton barque Roseau . She was named after the town of Roseau, which was the capital of the island of Dominica in the West Indies. She was built in Jersey by F C Clarke of West Park in 1857 for Scrutton & Co. of London, and was chiefly employed in trade between the British West Indies and England. She was finally broken up in England in 1897, but the figurehead survived and still exists. It was mounted on the wall of the Prince of Wales Pier in Dover for many years. After a spell in a shopping centre she was recently moved to another pier in Dover where she still remains.
It was believed to be the only figurehead of a Jersey ship still in existence; however, we now have the figurehead of the Prospero (also built by Clarke’s in 1862) in the Maritime Museum.
The reproduction was carved in 2002 by Andy Peters of Maritima Woodcarving, who specialises in figureheads and nautical carving. The figurehead holding a small bunch of roses is as faithful a copy as was possible.
As she is outdoors all-year round she has been repainted once already and is being repainted again this spring.